These challenges make me feel like an overachiever because they totally enable my hoarding/binging tendencies. I’ve been sitting on SEVENTEEN (17) (no lie) Carla Kellys for years because I knew that once I started, I’d have to read them all. So I did. And it was gooooood.
I’m only going to do the Harlequins in this post — more on the Signets next time! (And yes, I’ve read all of Kelly’s other Harlequins. I’m a capital-F Fangirl.)
- Title: Her Hesitant Heart
- Published: Harlequin Historical, January 2013
- Source: Purchased
- Length: 282
- Tropes: Deep Dark Secrets, Scandal & Gossip, Beta Hero, Military Man, Widower, Schoolmarm
- Quick blurb: Newly divorced schoolmarm finds refuge teaching at remote army fort.
- Quick review: Great setting and perfect pacing, but the angst needed a bit more balance.
- Grade: B+
“I can’t tell you how nice it was to open my front door and take a whiff of someone cares.”
Nobody does historical military romance better than Carla Kelly. She has an exquisite knack for world-building that has me THERE every single time, and this book was no exception. The only thing that knocked it down to a B was the uneven angst balance — it was all on the heroine, with the stalwart hero basically standing around waiting to display his stalwartiness. Continue reading