I cheated a bit on this one because it wasn’t really in my TBR. But I cheated for a very worthy reason, because Layton was a favorite author of an online friend.
This one is for Liz (@meoskop/#DogNamedLucky).
Wicked smart, funny as all hell, and passionate about books.
ETA: Remembering Meoskop at Love in the Margins. Thanks, Ridley.
Also, FUCK CANCER.
Pass the tissues again. Goddammit.
The Cad by Edith Layton
- Title: The Cad by Edith Layton
- Author: Edith Layton
- Series: The “C” Series, Book 1
- Published: HarperTorch, August 1998 (rereleased 1989 by HarperCollins)
- Source: Scribd
- Length: 368
- Tropes: Poor Relation, Deep Dark Secrets, Scandal & Gossip, Marriage of Convenience, Man of Mystery
- Quick blurb: Scarred poor relation is overwhelmed by whirlwind marriage to an engimatic nobleman.
- Quick review: Now I understand all the love for Edith Layton. I feel an author binge coming on.
- Grade: A
“Bridget,” he said, his deep voice low and soft and slow. “Ah, Bridget. I’m sorry, but in spite of my better judgment, I’ve decided we really must meet again.”
Her eyes flew to his. “But—why?” she asked, all thoughts of revenge swept away because of the regret in his voice, all hurt swept away by the look in his eyes.
“Because I burn for you,” he said.
I can’t think of anything this book was missing. It’s all there, in just the right amounts and in all the right places. And you think it’s going to be about one thing, but it’s not, and it’s all just SO GOOD.