- Title: The Rake to Ruin Her
- Author: Julia Justiss
- Series/Category: Ransleigh Rogues, Book 1 (Harlequin Historical)
- Genre(s): Historical (Regency)
- Publisher: Harlequin, February 2013
- Source: NetGalley($4.61 ebook)
- Length: 288 pages
- Trope(s): Horse-Mad Hoyden, Disgraced Nobleman, Marriage of Convenience
- Quick blurb: Spinster recruits disgraced diplomat to ruin her reputation to avoid unwanted marriage.
- Quick review: An unobjectionable but predictable read.
- Grade: C
“Let me see if I understand you correctly. You wish to be found in a compromising situation with me, then have me refuse to marry you, so you would be ruined, which would prevent any honourable gentleman but your friend Harry from ever seeking your hand in wedlock?”
She nodded approvingly, as if he’d just worked out a particularly difficult proof in geometry. “Exactly.”
Julia Justiss was another one of my “gateway” romance authors, but this latest book won’t be on my favorites list. I was concerned by the title and the “Rogues” in the series name, and unfortunately it lived down to my lowered expectations by being a rather run-of-the-mill Regency.
I did, however, indulge in an extensive bit of comfort re-reading prior to diving into this one, so up next will be an overview of my Julia Justiss Backlist Binge.