- Title: Final Resort
- Author: Dana Mentink
- Series/Category: Love Inspired Suspense (Treasure Hunters mini-series)
- Genre(s): Contemporary, Inspirational, Suspense
- Publisher: Harlequin, February 2013
- Source: NetGalley ($3.82 ebook)
- Length: 224 pages
- Trope(s): TSTL Heroine, Con-Artist Relative, Friends-to-Lovers
- Quick blurb: Uncle’s kidnapping leads ski resort owner into searching for famous missing jewel.
- Quick review: I was hoping for some Smooching in the Snow. My favorite character was the dog.
- Grade: DNF
I made it to about 40%. I didn’t even get to the Sinister Ski Gondola part.
The heroine’s predominant character trait is her insistence on shrugging off the oh-so-amusing antics of her con-man uncle (aka the scoundrel, rascal, trickster, showman, etc.) despite his DECADES of being a slimy and manipulative THIEF.
“Ava, I know I messed up. Your mother left this place to us, and I took advantage. I blew it. Took money out figuring I could make it back and then some, but I never did.”
She hated the tone of defeat in her uncle’s voice. “You meant no harm. I know that.”
That was Chapter One, and it just went downhill from there. (That’s my one attempt at skiing humor. Pathetic, I know.)
It’s OK that Uncle Paul destroyed her parents’ marriage, stole her inheritance, and made enemies of ALL their family, friends and neighbors by defrauding them of THEIR money, because he’s just so “jovial” and “charming.” And, of course, he’s *~*family*~*, which means he gets a pass for everything.
GAH. Ava is almost as TSTL as Heidi the Goat Girl and her clueless future mother-in-law. I felt ZERO compassion for Ava or her Idiot Uncle, and I saw ZERO potential for respecting Ava as a character by the end of the book. I just wanted to smack some sense into her.
ALSO: The ski resort was on “Whisper Mountain.” Every time it was mentioned, I had visions of the Mountain of the Whispering Winds from Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town. This book could have used a Winter Warlock.