- Title: Lady Maggie’s Secret Scandal
- Author: Grace Burrowes
- Series: Windhams, Book 5
- Genre(s): Historical
- Publisher: Sourcebooks, May 2012
- Source: Public library ($6.39 ebook, $7.99 MMPB)
- Length: 384 pages
- Trope(s): Beta Heroes, Tormented by Guilt, Regency, Illegitimacy, Courtesans, Damsel in Distress
- Quick blurb: Illegitimate duke’s daughter finds her carefully constructed cover-up of family secrets – and her carefully guarded heart – unraveling when she hires an investigator to find missing documents.
- Quick review: My favorite Grace Burrowes so far – but she’s still not quite an auto-buy for me.
- Grade: B
With that soft, slightly anxious look in his dark eyes he’d broken rules and commandments and equivalent of papal bulls issued by Maggie’s common sense and countersigned by her instinct for self-preservation.
A slow start (good lord, just LOOK for the stupid reticule, already, sheesh) that evolves into some deliciously angsty romance-building before flaming out into a disappointing Manly-Men-to-the-Rescue ending. But I’ll forgive almost anything for a swoon-worthy beta hero like Benjamin Hazlit.